Teacher Site How-To
(Using Classic Sites)
The Assignments page is where you’ll use the Google Calendar to add homework and other assignments to your site.
CREATE CALENDARS FOR YOUR SUBJECTS/PREPS
- Open a new Google Chrome window or tab and go to http://calendar.jalsd.org.
- If you’re prompted to login, enter your JALSD Google username and password.
- In the upper right corner click the settings button.
4. In the menu that drops down click Settings.
5. Scroll down the settings page until you see “Default view:” and then change your Default view from Week to Month: click on the drop down list next to “Default View” and choose Month.
6. Scroll back to the top and click the Save button.
7. In the “My calendars” section on the left, click the drop down menu and then click Create new calendar.
8. Enter your subject/prep name in the Calendar Name box.
9. Click on the check box next to Share this calendar with others.
10. Click on the check box next to Make this calendar public.
11. Click the Create Calendar button.
12. Click the Yes button when prompted about making you calendar public.
13. Repeat the above steps for each of your subjects/preps.
ADD ASSIGNMENTS TO THE CALENDAR
In the calendar click on the red CREATE button in the upper left.
- Enter the name of an assignment in the first box(for now you can make something up).
- Change the date if necessary.
- Click the check box next to All day.
- In the Calendar drop down list make sure you select the appropriate calendar for your class.
- In the Description box you can enter any additional details about the assignment.
- Finally, click the Save button.
Repeat the above steps for each subject/prep.
ADD THE CALENDARS TO YOUR TEACHER SITE
Go back to the your teacher site. (If you've closed or lost that window then open Google Chrome and go back to http://sites.jalsd.org.)
1. Click on Assignments under one of your subjects/preps to view the Assignments page.
3. Click on the gray Google calendar gadget in the middle of the page.
4. Click on the gadget properties button.
5. In the Google calendar properties click on “Display another Calendar”.
6. In the list of calendars click on the appropriate subject/prep.
6. Click the blue “Select” button.
7. Click the red “Save” button.
8. Click the blue “Save” button at the top of the page to finish editing the assignments page. You should see the assignment that you added earlier appear on the calendar.
Now that you've linked this class’s calendar with this page’s Google calendar gadget, any time you add an assignment to this class using the Google calendar it will automatically show up on this web page!
Repeat the above steps for each of your preps/subjects.